Photo courtesy of Mike & Tiffy
A promise holds a lot of power. Recall how you felt when someone broke a promise they made to you. Broken promises speak volumes about a person’s integrity.
The following is a list of promises you should make today. And the person you’ll be promising is yourself.
1. I promise to live in the moment. I want to notice things about my life that I never noticed before.
2. I promise to let go of my desire to be in control of everything and everyone. By letting go and handing the reigns over to someone else at times, I can take more time for simply enjoying life.
3. I promise to look for enjoyment in situations that might otherwise be seen as dull or even hopeless. Even standing in line can be fun and interesting if I have the right mindset.
4. When it comes to others, I promise to always give them the benefit of the doubt. I don’t want to judge people anymore.
5. I promise to smile more often. I might even manage to laugh more often too!
6. I promise to use nice words as often as I can, to myself and to those around me. You know that saying “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me?” Not true.
7. I promise to do all I can to excel using my strengths. In contrast, I also promise to accept my shortcomings without judgement.
8. If I face a hurdle, I promise to use my strength to get over it. I will not let fear stop me anymore.
9. If I fall down or fail, I promise I will still love myself. I will also get back up again and keep moving toward my goals.
10. I promise to do more of the things that I enjoy doing. It’s my life, and I’m the one living it.
11. I promise that I will be more expressive with how much my family and friends mean to me. I will hug more often too.
12. I promise to keep these promises. If I can’t even trust myself, who can I trust?
In life, it’s extremely important to keep the promises you make to others, and it’s even more important when the promise was made to yourself. Show yourself what you’re made of and start keeping these promises today.