Photo courtesy of Cornelia Kopp
Although Thanksgiving day isn’t here yet, there are many things that we should be thankful for every day of our lives. Sometimes we forget to appreciate what we consider to be the ‘little things’, and by the time we realize their importance, it’s far too late. Take the time now to get into the habit of being cognizant of everything and everyone that makes your life worth living.
Part of being thankful is being aware, and the most effective way to be aware of everything around you is to live mindfully. Mindful living ensures that you don’t miss all of the wonderful things in your life that are happening to you every day. You know the saying, “stop and smell the roses?” Well as it turns out, you really should.
Here are 10 other things that many of us forget to appreciate. See if you can expand this list each day by mindfully noticing all of the good things that surround you.
- You are the thing that you should be most thankful for. Be mindful of yourself first, and all other relationships become instantly that much better.
- Appreciate all of the difficult things you’ve made it through. Because of those hurdles, you’re that much stronger, smarter and more capable.
- Enjoy your children every single day. The more you enjoy them, the more they will enjoy you – guaranteed. When your children become adults, the bonds you create with them now will turn into lifelong friendships. This can be applied to nieces and nephews, too!
- Love the shape of your body. Many people spend such a wasted amount of time dieting and cursing the image they see in the mirror. The better choice is embracing the body you’ve been given and appreciating all of the good things about it. Every body is different and there is beauty to be found in each one. You just have to be looking for the beauty instead of the flaws.
- Be thankful for your enemies. They teach you valuable lessons – what not to do, how not to act, and why your friends are so amazing (and that you should be extra thankful for them!)
- Look around and be grateful for this earth that we live on. It is filled with beauty, life, and vivid colors in more areas than not. Take time to travel to some of the most breathtaking places on earth. And don’t forget to appreciate the nature that is in your own backyard, which sometimes goes blindly unnoticed.
- Remember to appreciate your ability to eat food and all that it brings to your life – from the delicious experience of eating it to the strength and nutrition it delivers to your body.
- Make sure that you are not only thankful for your soulmate, but that you show him or her how much they mean to you. If you haven’t found your soulmate yet, be thankful for your friends for being your constant companions.
- Be grateful for your health as you journey through this life. If you do live with pain or disease, be thankful that you live in a time of advanced medicine so that you can exist in a much higher degree of comfort than many people in the past.
- When is the last time you were thankful for your senses? Without them, you couldn’t experience the beauty and the brilliance of everything else on this list.
Make every day a day of thanks. Appreciating the good things in your life means that you’re really noticing them, and that’s definitely a step in the right direction.